Friday, January 6, 2017

CHANGE IS A GOOD THING!

WORKOUT DVD'S
Up until mid-2016, I designed my exercise regimen around my vast Workout DVD library.  My workouts would be driven by amazing fitness celebrities like Cathe Friedrich and Kelly Coffey-Meyer.  They motivated me and drove me to push hard through even the toughest of routines.  Having access to a vast library containing some of the most fun and challenging fitness workouts on the market, I never got bored and I always felt that my need for variety was met.  


My Workout DVD Collection


So, you can imagine my surprise when I received some new workouts from my beloved Cathe and Kelly and they stayed in their plastic wrappings for weeks (actually, they're STILL in their plastic wrapping)!


My new DVD's ... still wrapped in plastic!


Why didn't I anxiously rip them open as I've done so many times in the past?  I mean, I DID pre-order these workouts months in advance!  Why didn't I pop 'em into my player and start writing my review?  Why didn't I switch up my current routine in order to fit these new gems into my workout schedule.  All legitimate questions since these are the actions I have always taken in the past.  

MY DRIVE
Just as my love for fitness was driven by sports when I was young --- which then transitioned to motivation by strict calorie burn (so much ridiculous cardio!) --- which then moved onto enjoying workouts through fun kickboxing --- and on and on and on ...

... at this point, it's easy to say that my workouts are now driven primarily through my love of lifting heavy things.  I hardly do any cardio these days and I get pure enjoyment from lifting heavier things over time and watching my range of motion increase.  Utter elation!  Can I lift weights using workout DVD's?  Yes, of course!  But, I realized that I wasn't going to get the results that I was seeking by following the same ol' videos that I've been doing for years.

If my goals were to burn fat and build muscle, following along to someone else's weight load, pace, or rep count would be fine.  But right now, I want to go beyond that.  I want to go further!  I want to lift weights that are heavy and I want to do so going at my own pace.  I want to focus on the specific exercises that target my weak zones or that help to improve my posture.  I want to be able to work on my mobility during my rest periods.  I want to slip in some Core work before attacking that 4th set of lifts.  The list is endless!

MY REALIZATION
Geez, it sounds like I want a lot, doesn't it?  Perhaps that's true but I realized in 2016 that I'm able to do all of the things that I WANT by designing my own workouts instead of relying on a workout DVD.  I realized that I could "lift to failure" or add a 4th set when I lift at my own pace instead of trying to keep up with someone else's count.

This realization may seem obvious (especially since I design workouts for my clients on a daily basis!) but I've spent many years being inspired by fitness personalities like Cathe Friedrich, Kelly Coffey-Meyer, Michelle Dozois, Patrick Goudeau, and many others.  It was hard to put their DVD's back on the shelf and exercise without them.  It was lonely at first.  But, I quickly learned that I could have the best of both worlds.

For the past 7 months, I've been designing my own split routine (most routines lasting about 4 weeks or so).  But, I will occasionally get my fitness-idol-fix by doing a segment or two from a DVD.  Just the other day, I designed a crushing lower-body workout.  I finished the workout with the Floor segment from Cathe's Great Glutes DVD (which is awesome!).  So, my DVD's do get used nowadays ... just not as much.  I suppose I'll pop in Cathe's latest cycle workout since I love my spin bike so much ... just not now.

MY POINT
Why am I sharing this?  If you're stuck in a workout rut or if you're getting bored with your current routine, consider other options that may spark your interest.  I found myself losing interest in doing workouts designed by others and found my motivation in constructing my own split rotation and combining exercises from some new (to me) faces like Zuzka Light, BJ Gadder, and Kaisa.  In exploring these new fitness personalities, I've been able to bring some fresh new workout ideas to my clients too!



Here's a pic of me with Fitness Celebrity Patrick Goudeau from a few years ago.  It showcases a change in focus from mostly cardio to heavy lifting - my transformation from "skinny arms" to "strong arms"


I expect 6 months from now to write a separate entry on what motivates me ... and I'm fairly certain it'll be something different than what motivates me now.  As much as I dislike change, I realize now that CHANGE has been driving my fitness motivation for many, many years.  And that's a good thing!





1 comment: