Wednesday, June 11, 2014

WHY I LOVE HOME WORKOUT DVD'S

I post my daily workouts on social media every morning.  Because of this, I'm asked quite often about my workout selections.  Questions include: Do you only workout to Cathe Friedrich?  Are you a Beachbody Coach?  Do you ever go to a gym?  Do you only exercise using workout DVD's?  The answer to all of these questions is..."no".  No, I don't only workout to Cathe Friedrich (although she IS my favorite instructor).  No, I am not a Beachbody Coach (but I love Beachbody programs and I recommend them often).  No, I don't ever go to a gym (because I have created one inside of my home) and no, I don't only exercise to home workout DVD's (but I do it a lot and I have done so for a very long time).

WHY I LOVE HOME WORKOUT DVD'S
Before I got married and had children, I used to workout exclusively at the gym.  I went to the gym either early in the morning before work or I jetted off to the gym afterward.  Either way, I loved it and I did it consistently.  After kids arrived, however, I had a hard time getting to the gym.  Juggling my work schedule, my horrible commute, and two small children meant that a visit to the gym on a regular basis was simply not possible.  So, I turned to workout videos that I could do at home...and I haven't looked back since!

TOO EARLY IN THE MORNING!
Most of you know that my day starts EARLY (4am during the school year and 5am during the summer months).  My feet are usually on the floor before I turn off my alarm.  A trip to the bathroom and a quick guzzle of water is really all I need to get started for the day (don't judge, I've always been this way).  I'm usually starting my warm-up within 10 minutes of getting out of bed.  This is when the workout DVD comes into play.  I may be a morning-person, but I'm not likely to bust-out 20 burpees without a little pick-me-up (nor should I...hello, injury!!).  I utilize home workout DVD's to (1) wake me up, (2) provide me with a proper warm-up, and (3) keep me going throughout the entire workout!  I can always push myself harder to complete a workout when I have someone there encouraging me to do so.  As you can guess, there's no one else in my family joining me in the early-morning hours so I rely on my DVD instructors to keep me going.

DESIGNING MY OWN WORKOUTS
As a Personal Trainer, I love to design workout circuits.  My education has come in handy as I focus on my training goals.  Whenever I set my eyes on improving a particular movement, I incorporate that exercise into my training plan for the week.  If I relied solely on workout DVD's, I probably wouldn't be able to meet many of my specific goals.  But, my DVD's still play a role and they do so in a couple of different ways.  First, even if I don't plan on completing a workout DVD in its entirety, I will still complete a formal warm-up that is included in many of my favorite DVD's.  Why?  BECAUSE 4:10am IS VERY EARLY!  Without someone there to wake me up, I'm likely to trip all over my own feet so I like to hear someone's voice to get me going.  Second, I often leave a workout DVD playing on the screen even if I'm not doing that particular workout.  I do this often when I design my own workouts.  For example, if I'm doing an upper-body circuit, I will warm up using an upper-body DVD and then leave it playing while I complete my own upper-body circuit that I designed.  Having the DVD playing in the background, even if I'm not following it, keeps me company in the early-morning hours.  I need to be able to hear my kids should they decide to wake up early.  Therefore, there's no music pumping into my ears (so, don't ask me about my playlist because I don't have one!)  Lol!

PIECING IT ALL TOGETHER
Another great thing about home workout DVD's is the ability to pick and choose which ones I want to do during a workout.  Many of today's workout DVD's are chaptered which allows you to pick one or two segments to do rather than the entire workout.  I use these chapters often to put together a complete workout that suits my needs.  For example, I may do the following for a complete lower-body workout: Warm-Up to Cathe Friedrich's Butts & Guts + the elevated lunges from that same DVD + the floor exercises of Cathe's Great Glutes DVD + 2 circuits from Zuzka Light's Zcut Kettlebell series + the Cool Down/Stretch segment of Cathe's Kickmax DVD.  Having a large collection of DVD's allows me to put my own unique combinations together that compliment my specific fitness goals.  I get a complete workout focusing on the body parts that need my attention.  Piecing different workouts together is one of my favorite things to do.  Will I always workout this way?  I don't know.  But, I've been doing this for many years and I still enjoy it.  Have you found a way to exercise that YOU enjoy???

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing this up! There could be a lot of fun designing these circuits, something people aren't really aware of yet. Sharing these to social media is great as people can pick up your regimen and customize it for themselves. And in turn, they can make their own targeted routine to endorse to other people.

    Ari Maccabi @ Infighting Training Centers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ari! Exactly...my goal in sharing my workout regimen on social media is to inspire others and to show them that working out at home can be convenient, effective, and fun. Glad you enjoyed this post!

      Delete